The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign does not discriminate on the basis of disability in its programs, services and activities. IT Accessibility at the Urbana campus is committed to making it possible for users to access, consume, and interact with digital media while maintaining content, message, and purpose.
The following are the three standards or guidelines to which University of Illinois web developers adhere:
- Illinois Information Technology Accessibility Act (IITAA) requires Illinois agencies and universities to ensure that their websites, systems, and other information technologies are accessible to people with disabilities. The IITAA requires the state to establish and follow specific, functional accessibility standards and to address accessibility proactively.
- Section 508 requires federal agencies to give disabled employees and members of the public access to information that is comparable to the access available to others.
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines explain how to make Web content more accessible to people with disabilities. Web "content" generally refers to the information in a Web page or Web application, including text, images, forms, and sounds.
Accessibility Information for the Primary Navigation Menu
Dear Screen Reader Users,
We are aware about the accessibility issues with this menu. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, we are working with the vendors to resolve it. At this time screen reader programs can't open the sub-menus while in Virtual or Browse mode. Please use one of these work-around solutions to interact with the primary navigation menu:
- Use the pass-key through mode in your screen reader program and them press arrow-down key. The pass-key through in Jaws is Jawskey+2 and in NVDA is NVDAkey+F2.
- Switch your screen reader program in form/focus mode. Once you are in the form/focus mode, press arrow-right or arrow-left key to move from one menu to another and press arrow-down key to open the menu. The command for form mode in Jaws is Jawskey+z and in NVDA is NVDAkey+space bar.
- You can also find all the sub-menu items in the main content area. when you click on one of the menus in the primary navigation, all the sub-menus of the selected menu appear on top of the main landmark.